Still pumping your watermelons full of rum? THAT’S SO CHILDISH!!! It’s time to grow up watch a little bit of MacGyver and start converting your watermelons into kegs. The instructions for the Watermelon Keg come from none other than the National Watermelon Promotion Board—which surprisingly is an actual organization.Basically you slice off a thin layer from the bottom end, slice open the top, scoop out the insides (or liquefy with booze), and jam a spigot in the front. Presto! Your watermelon keg is born. #winning Try it… show us your creations on instagram… liquor of choice… Clear10 Vodka or maybe some Tequila Avion… remember drink responsibly!!!
- 1 medium-large oval or oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker or ¾”-1” thick painter’s trim tape
- Channel knife (can use top of a vegetable peeler as alternative)
- Large bowl & spoon or scoop
- Apple corer
- Spigot (from beer making supply company)
- Twine & straight pins
- Watermelon juice or punch recipe
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4”-1/2” from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base.
- Use dry erase marker or painters tape to make a thick band on the upper 1/3 and lower third of the watermelon that will represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg and use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
- Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to make your favorite punch or juice. Be sure to leave about 2” of watermelon flesh towards the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be placed.
- Use an apple corer to cut a circle for your spigot to fit through the watermelon rind, placing it about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw your spigot into place.
- For added detail, carefully pin twine in your lines you’ve made to represent the metal bands around the barrel/keg. Be careful that the pins do not poke through into the barrel/keg.
- Place the barrel/keg on a saucer or plate and fill with your favorite chilled punch or juice recipe.
Latest posts by DELUX Magazine (see all)
- Anisupe: Animation Comes to Life - Monday, October 1, 2018
- 5 Ways To Step Up Your Self-Care Game - Friday, September 21, 2018
- DJ TRIL: 12 Year Old Celebrity DJ Takes The Scene By Storm - Thursday, September 20, 2018